Collaborative School of the Arts and Capital Repertory Theatre seek entries for the 10th annual Young Playwright Contest. Contest winners will receive a public reading of the play in theREP’s 2024 NEXT ACT! New Voices event. In addition, they will enjoy a series of workshops led by professionals in the field and will see their short plays professionally produced by theREP in July 2024. Submissions will be evaluated on creativity, dialogue, character development, plot structure, and the inclusion of the line “I turned the corner…” Please note, any scripts that are longer than 10 minutes in length when acted out will not be considered.
- Playwrights must be at least 13 years old and no older than 19 years old at the time of submission and must reside within a 90-mile radius of Albany, NY.
- Submissions must be no longer than 10 minutes in length when acted out (roughly 10-12 pages in length).
- Submissions must have a title page and page numbers.
- Submissions should be formatted as stage plays (not screen plays).
- Submissions may have no more than 7 characters (extra ensemble members: i.e.. other students in the cafeteria; members of the crowd; etc. acceptable).
- Submissions must include the line: “I turned the corner…”
- Co-authored submissions accepted.
Congratulations to the winners of the 2023 Young Playwright Contest
- “Mending Broken Hearts” by Karthik Nair and Isabella Wu (Guilderland)
- “Zero Gravity Woes” by Chloe Tyson and Nathaniel Burke (Guilderland)
- “Enemies to Lovers” by Sean Halligan and Sophie Duerr (Guilderland)
- “The Shove” by Natalie Deso with co-author Ava McTiernan (Guilderland)